Saturday, May 9, 2009

Your MAMA

Some of you might know that my brother's girlfriend Christina interns at Harvey's Seatbelt Bag Company. Recently Christina sent me an email to let me know of their an upcoming Mother's Day contest. Below is the e-flyer. I thought I'd give it a try.



Here's my Mother's Day Contest entry.

When you think of a hero you might think of a fairytale like character or a real life fireman. But did you ever think to consider your mother? I do, everyday, although she doesn't know that. The dictionary defines a hero or heroine as "someone who is of distinguished courage or ability, admired for brave deeds and noble qualities who has a will for self sacrifice." I believe that's what my mother is. Between the year of 1994 and 1995 my mother pushed through the pain and heartache and found courage. The courage to face an ill 14 year old daughter with major heart problems, a husband just diagnosed with a fast growing cancer, all while trying to raise a 2nd grader. Talk about self sacrifice! Full of motivation, love, a prayerful heart, and compassion she set aside her desires to be there for her family and devoted her life to caring us back to health. Even now as I face yet another surgery, she has put herself in a position of availability. It was just the other day that I called her a dozen times to seek advice about dealing with medical insurance. Now as an adult she still teaches me new things, and helps me to become more self sufficient with the courage and tools to survive the adult world. I can't imagine my life without my mother. I'm not sure of who or where I would be without her devoted heart. I'm sure there were times when she felt like giving up or when she was certain she would lose her daughter or her husband or both. But she put those feelings and fears aside and dealt with them in her own way so that she could "be" mother and wife. "Be" mentally, physically, and emotionally present. I'm so thankful that I have been blessed with such wonderful parents. It saddens me to see the poor women role models of today and the selfishness of parents who think soley of themselves, often at the expense of their kids. When I think of mothers, I see them as selfless, wise, nurturing teachers, who are or should be the true heroines of today.

References

Dictionary.com (2009). Hero. Retrieved 04/29/2009, from http://dictionary.reference.com/dic?q=hero&search=search

Dictionary.com (2009). Heroine. Retrieved 04/29/2009, from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/heroine

OK, so you may be laughing that I put in references, it's a graduate thing. Actually, I wanted to not have copyright issues if the entries were published. Most of you know, I'm a winner, especially when it comes to my mother. I have the greatest, most compassionate and loving mom. I should have added to the entry she gives me baths even as an adult and can remove sticky gunk! Then on May 4th, I received this email:

Re: mother's day contestHi Erica!

Congrats! You are one of our lucky Your Mama is so... Contest winners!!! Your Treecycle Mini Messenger will ship out today... Just in time for Mother’s Day!

Thank you so much for your contribution. Your Mama is so LUCKY to HAVE YOU!!

Xoxo,
Harveys

I was shocked! I was one of five winners and there were over 150 entries. Christina wondered if I won because the day she had internship last week she saw them taking the purse my mom wanted to package for shipping. I found this later on the Harvey's website.



So... HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MOM!!! I LOVE YOU!!! THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO FOR US! And to all you other mom's out there reading this, a Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Proverbs 22:6 "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." NIV

"Point your kids in the right direction-when they're old they won't be lost." The Message


Although mom has received her package, she doesn't know the details of her mother's day present. When she comes over this afternoon for a bbq, I'll be sure to post a picture of her opening her gift.


1 comment:

Debbie said...

Yeah, your mama is AWESOME. And so are you. God bless.

Just click on a picture to ENLARGE.