I can't say that I'm completely over being miffed about all that happened on Friday, but I'm trying to accept the circumstances (since I can't do anything to change them) and to have a better attitude. I'm trying to find the blessings in these extra days to relax before surgery. Yesterday I enjoyed such a wonderful bbq with Jay's family. I was especially blessed with the girl talks out at the back patio both in the sun and also at night. Today I spent time going through my old toys, dolls, and such at my parents house. It was fun to reminisce over all the things that surrounds you while you're growing up. It was quite exciting being in my parents neighborhood as news broke of a possible swine flew outbreak at the school next door to them: Fred Moiola Elementary School; the first school in Orange County to be shut down. It's expected the doors will be closed for at least a week, possibly two. News vans were a frequent sight today and we've been watching the school on the news since we've been home. Perhaps you'll see clips tonight from CBS Ch 2, NBC Ch 4, ABC Ch 7, KCAL Ch 9. I can't believe that today would have been my surgery. Because of the change it has allowed us to be able to attend a funeral to support our dear friend Neil who just lost a family member. I look forward to bible study and the further support and encouragement I'll receive from my dear friends there. I'm also eager for my relaxing massage. I did receive clarity that I am to stop taking my aspirin which I began today.
I've been trying to get further along in the book Walking with God by John Eldredge before my upcoming surgery. He makes a good point in the book "It's not what God is not giving, but what he is giving." He also goes on to say "When it comes to crisis or events that really upset us, this I have learned: you can have God or you can have understanding. Sometimes you can have both. But if you insist on understanding, it often doesn't come. And that can create distance between you and God, because you're upset and demanding an explanation in order to move on, but the explanation isn't coming, and so you withdraw a bit from God and lose the grace that God is giving. He doesn't explain everything. But he always offers us himself." I've also been drawn to these verses these past two weeks. Psalms 112:7 "He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord." 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."It's so true how when we are perplexed and can't move beyond the fact God might not be giving us understanding we find it pushes us away from Him. My advice to you is this: try to accept and adapt to what God IS giving you and not focus on what He is NOT.
3 comments:
You're in my prayer time this morning. Hang in there :)
Erica,
I can tell from your blog that you are searching to find peace with your current surgery. I know it is much more complicated than that; however, I concur with you that God is giving us what we need and can handle.
You are in our prayers.
Love, Julie
I just briefly read through to catch up - wow. I learned a lot about pace makers and the process you will endure throughout your life. You are one strong woman. I wish you didn't have to go through this but I must say you are a great patient and so optimistic and strong. I am a control freak so I can only imagine how frustrating, for you the patient, these delays must be. I hope that no posting today = the surgery is done and was highly successful. Get well soon and long time no talk!!!
Sincerely,
Julie Thomas (Long lost sister? Oh no wait, married in. Formerly Julie Colville.) :)
Post a Comment