What started out to be a quick drab trip for my "type and cross" blood test up at UCLA, turned out to be a very eventful one. I got to the laboratory only to find that the surgery department hadn't faxed over the orders. I showed them the paperwork I had which were copies, but they would not accept them because they were under the wrong person, which I thought had been changed by phone earlier this week. Wrong meaning, a different ET with a different birth date, name spelling, and UCLA patient id number. We had trouble getting through to the surgery department, and they wouldn't just take my blood sample, so they sent me off the hospital's admitting office in hopes that they could help me. This mix up reminds me of the song The Real Slim Shady by Eminem (not one I recommend) but know of:
"May I have your attention please?
May I have your attention please?
Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?
I repeat, will the real Slim Shady please stand up?
We're gonna have a problem here..."
I walked on over to the hospital miffed. They were helpful in changing my info and then pre-admitting me while I was there. They also informed me that not only did the lab orders need to be redone, but my surgery orders as well with the correct et. The lady from the admitting office was kind, but shared that this was a "big mistake!" Knowing how urgent this was to take care of in order to proceed with Monday's surgery I called the surgery department continuously until redial finally paid off all while I was being helped in admitting. I had them re-fax everything to the lab and the admitting office. I also wanted to know if I had to be off any of my medications as no one told me as of yet.
I then went back to the lab who accepted the old paperwork with a new correct patient id label and were kind to let me pass through the long wait of patients. After this whole ordeal all for a measly one vile of blood, I decided to walk over to have lunch. I got another call from the surgery office to tell me that they hadn't received all the pre-op test results from Hoag yet. I immediately called my primary care physician's office who just got the last test results and planned to fax it on over. Phew I thought, now I can have my lunch.
After eating lunch I headed back over to the parking structure so I could begin my journey back home. It was then I got another call from the surgery office. "Erica, I've got bad news." Oh this can't be good."NOW WHAT? "I asked. "There has been a major emergency with a patient and all of Dr. Laks's patients for next week have to have their surgeries rescheduled. Yours will now be on Thursday. And it seems you should have been told to be off of your aspirin (a blood thinning agent)".
To say that I'm angry and frustrated is a major understatement! The correct words would be more like fuming or livid. Anyone got a punching bag I could borrow? So I'm scheduled for surgery on Thursday May 7th at 7:30am. We might need to be there as early as 5:30am so we're thinking about staying up there the night before. I'm debating whether or not to file a complaint, especially since I haven't received so much as an apology. I mean first they have me as the wrong person, and THEN God knows what could have happened by not reviewing my medications before surgery.
In the mean time I took my friends advise "have a stiff drink and get some r&r." So I treated myself to a drink (not too stiff don't worry), called and scheduled a massage, and then settled on the couch to watch tv. I needed to cool off and let the steam evaporate. I guess the plan now is to relax for Thursday since I have a whole week to wait now that all the pre-op work is done. I suppose I spoke too soon about how smooth and organized things were going. It seems it all unraveled apart so quickly. I understand that this could all be for the best, or that emergencies happen, etc., but we (esp I) worked so hard to coordinate everything in time for Monday and, now it's just utter disappointment. It was encouraging to get a few "get well" notes today, ironic as it seems with the current news. Perhaps it's more for my mental well being than for my recovery.
2 comments:
Dear Erica,
I can't even imagine how frustrated and angry (LIVID) you must be, but since I'm a step removed from it I can tell you that God has a good reason for it. I know you know that, too, but He really does! And we may never even know what it is! But He does and He's good and He's in control and He knows what He's doing. Is that enough of a sermon??!!
That said, I'll be praying for your peace and acceptance (I was going to pray for patience but you know how He teaches us that!!) and that you can rest in the Lord this weekend. We already know at least one reason and that is that you need to be off your aspirin. That really was an oversight by UCLA because they told me that for my measly cataract surgery. Now you have a chance to get that out of your system in time for Thursday's surgery.
I know how hard it is to shift gears but I will pray for your flexibility. And I must say that you are very beloved by many - I don't even know as many people at my age as you addressed this e-mail to!
Love and blessings,
Lynne
Erica,
You must feel like a circus clown, having to jump through all these hoops.
My first thought was that I wonder who will be helping you on Thursday that won't be there on Monday. It's an opportunity that God is giving you to meet them.
Life with Jesus is always an adventure. I can't wait to hear how He's going to use you.
Know that my thoughts and prayers will be with you all that day.
Love,
Elaine
Post a Comment