Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Hospital Life

Last week was a mix of good and bad. I couldn't help but think of a verse from the Facts of Life theme song:
"You take the good, you take the bad,
you take them both and there you have
The Facts of Life, the Facts of Life." 

First I had trouble with iv's. Although I'm not hooked up to any medicines, they wanted to have one in, in case of an emergency.  If your lucky you can have one for about a week before you have to have a fresh one. I was going through them too fast. Three in just a week, so thankfully my team approved a compromise.  No iv, but all equipment has to be on hand in my room. That was a relief, but my arms are still covered in bruises.

I also got more freedom with wearing the compression pumps. I can go without them at bedtime. Since Spud 2 is looking great I don't have to wear the baby monitors on all the time. Just a few 20-40 minute checks a day. Early last week I got bombarded by medical staff. Apparently they were developing a care plan for my pacemaker if I end up having a c-section.  It didn't even dawn on me that since my pacemaker is just below my ribs at the top of my abdomen, they wanted to be sure it wouldn't be compromised.  The fact that they thought of this just confirmed I'm at the right place.

Wednesday and Thursday last week have been my toughest days yet. Everything sort of finally hit me. What set me off was not wanting to order lunch or dinner because I'm just so sick of the food. I also miss my family terribly and am just getting tired of hospital life.  Thursday afternoon Amanda came to visit bringing me some treats and my laundry.  Friday morning I had my glucose fast before she came again, but with a deliciously warm bagel (awe a favorite breakfast food of mine). She was able to stay for a few hours. She took me outside and when we returned we found out I was moving rooms sometime that day. Since I remain stable I don't have to be so near the OR, so I was moving to the quieter postpartum ward. She graciously packed up all my belongings before she had to leave. Amanda definitely brought some much needed sunshine to the gloomy days I had.

new room
(lost the view of the trees, but at least it's quieter at night)
 

Later that day I found out my blood sugar was high and was labeled as having gestational diabetes and put on a strict low carb diet. This had to be the worst news. I'm already sick of the food and now my menu choices got even smaller.  I'm still considering to take the off the record advice from a nurse and ask to have the test repeated.  In the meantime, I tried a few new menu items that were surprisingly decent, so at least I have a few more things I like. Trust me, it's trial and error.

Saturday I enjoyed a long visit with Kate and Jay. Kate and I had fun being in my wheelchair while Jay wheeled us outside.  Kate seemed more playful and attached to me then previous visits. We read together, and she even helped my nurse put the baby monitors on for my check. Jay and I got a hoot out of her playing visitor check in from here at the hospital.

 Doctor Kate; she always enjoys wearing the blue gloves




Sunday I had a nice quiet visit with my parents. We played cards, looked over the plans to put shelving in my garage and just relaxed together. They brought me a protein style burger from In and Out and thankfully my blood sugar test was fine so at least I know one outside food I can have.


Here's some highlights from Kate's week.

Yia-yia took her to Prehistoric Pets and thankfully she didn't bring any home. 
She's one brave girl. I think our neighbor might be right, Kate could become a Veterinarian.




Holding a gecko


This is what happened when she wouldn't sleep for nap time; she fell asleep at dinner. 

Jay text me "The bear got into our honey."

Flower for mommy


Visitor at Thomas family dinner


Fun time with daddy at a new park.
Our little rock climber

Happy Tuesday to me. Look who surprised me today. Jay took the day off and when he asked Kate what she wanted to do today, she said "go see mommy." Awe, always the best surprise. 
We enjoyed a nice trip outside for my "patio time."

Kate always finds a comfortable spot to read; today draped across my legs.

She also helped the nurse put the baby monitors on again. This is becoming her way of helping mommy and the nurses get a kick out of it. I also met with the dietician who really helped broaden my food choices. Apparently, I've been under eating; no wonder I've been starving only an hour after a meal. She upped the amount of carbs I can have per meal and increased my allowed snacks per day. She also helped me see what outside food I can have and also from the main hospital cafeteria. I have finger blood sugar checks 4x a day. My fingers are already getting bruised. Hopefully my blood sugar remains stable and by Friday they'll either stop or minimize them. Today my nurse asked me if I have any suicidal idealizations. I told her no, but ask me in 8 weeks because I'll probably want to kill somebody by then; we had a good laugh. There's nights I sleep well and others I don't. The last few nights have been bad nights. This morning, just like mornings of other bad nights, I try to sleep in longer, but that's difficult; here's why:

midnight or 1am- vital check
5:30am blood type check (this happens every 72 hours; hospital policy although blood type never changes)
6am vital check, fasting blood sugar check and medicine
7-8am visits from various doctors
9am vital check and rest of my medicines
 
Now you understand my sleep dilemma. That doesn't account for all the bathroom breaks either. I can't wait to be home and sleep in my own bed, although Jay reminded me today we won't be sleeping much then either, since we'll have a newborn with us. Someday, when we're empty nesters, I'll catch up on my z's.

Thanks again for all the support from our family and friends. For Kate's grandparents and Debra who do all the care-giving and help with meals, Amanda and Ryan for your frequent visits and doing my laundry, and for others who text, email, call, bring meals, etc. We can't thank everyone enough! We really are so blessed!



No comments:

Just click on a picture to ENLARGE.