I'm sorry that this post comes so late, especially for those who don't yet know that we're in fact expecting our second child. In early 2013 Jay and I met with my cardiology team to discuss having a second child. Initially, it seemed they recommend only having one child, but of course that's a case by case basis. When asked, there is no concrete evidence to suggest a direct correlation between cardiac problems after a second or more pregnancy. This really helped us feel more confident about going forward. After a few tests, they determined my heart has remained unchanged and we were given thumbs up. We also met with my OB before making our final decision. Once we obtained the "all clear", we decided to try and conceive. Fast forward eleven months later and Spud # 2 (Special Person Under Development) is here in incubation. My official due date is October 3rd, but the plan was to deliver in September at a scheduled induction. Kate came 5 weeks early (1.5 weeks before her scheduled induction) and for cardiac patients it's common to deliver early.
On Saturday April 12th our family had a surprise birthday outing at Bass Pro Shop scheduled for my dad. Since my mom, Ryan, Amanda, Bryan, and Christina were planning to attend, we thought this was the perfect opportunity to announce Spud #2. Unfortunately, Kate fell ill, so Jay had to stay home with her. But, we couldn't wait any longer, because by this time I just started my second trimester and was beginning to "show."
Dad and his brother Jim plan to take a fly fishing tour, so all of us went in for lessons.
Here's the little extra special gift he's opening to go with the "fishing theme."
Here's the little extra special gift he's opening to go with the "fishing theme."
Enjoying the beach tent from our shopping trip
The following weekend was Easter and proved to be the best opportunity to tell Jay's side of the family. We started the morning with Kate's own Easter basket.
Followed by a little Easter egg hunt thanks to one of our neighbors.
After church we headed over to our annual celebration at Jay's brother Jim's house.
There the cousins enjoyed an Easter egg hunt.
After the egg hunt we all went inside. We proceeded to have Kate give Nana and Papa a "special" Easter egg to open that contained a copy of the sonogram.
As you might expect with a second child, our anxiety is different. We're more apprehensive about how we'll manage everyday life with a toddler and a baby in tote. God has been gracious in giving me freedom from morning sickness once again. I do feel more tired this time around, but I also didn't have a toddler to chase after and could sleep more soundly. I often napped when Kate went down for hers. The pregnancy has been a little more scary for us due to a complication that occurred at the beginning of my second trimester, right before we planned to tell all our family. The four of us (Yay we're a family of 4 now!) were up at UCLA for my cardiology appointments. Afterwards I went to do labs for my OB. It was then that I noticed I was bleeding. We tried to see my OB while we were already up there, but unfortunately I couldn't get an appointment until the following day. They recommended going to the ER. By that time, Kate was at the end of her rope so we choose not to go to the ER and head home, knowing that if things worsened, then we'd just go to our local ER. The following day the four of us headed up there once again. While we were driving, I got a call that all the appointments had been cancelled and staff were going home due to a fire in the parking structure that caused heavy smoke. I explained the situation, and with persistence, they would see me in a "back room." The smoke wasn't nearly as bad by the time we arrived. During the ultrasound the OB immediately noticed the problem, placenta abruption. It seemed as if the days between my appointments were slow and full of uncertainty and anxiety. After we finally told family, I was able to go to future appointments without Kate, which made it much easier, and gave more opportunity to talk in debth with my OB. Placenta abruptions can become very serious, but it appears mine was mild and at my last appointment I was told is healing. After this complication I was instructed to slow down, not exercise, and no lifting. The no lifting took some adjusting. Kate had to climb into my car using a stool, and I couldn't really go grocery shopping with her since I couldn't lift her in the cart. I also needed help loading and unloading the groceries. Thankfully family and friends were available to call upon for help.
7weeks 5days
14weeks 5days (day after placenta abruption)
17weeks 5day
(love the first picture, hang ten)
21weeks 5days
Here's a picture of my bowling ball belly that was taken at 23 weeks 4 days, just a day before our lives shifted. The last week has been difficult for our family and some of you aren't fully aware of the details that transpired, so let me fill you in.
On Thursday June 12th I had two noticeable amniotic leaks that warranted a call to the on call OB who advised I come up to UCLA ER. Seeing as we still had to put Kate down and arrange childcare, I drove myself to our local ER instead.
After having arranged for childcare (thanks Dad), Jay joined me at the ER. Once they determined I wasn't yet in active labor, early the next morning I was transported via ambulance to UCLA were Jay met me later after a brief nap. Having your water partially break at only 24 weeks poses serious risk for complications. The usual cause of these leaks is infection, but all of my cultures came back negative. Nor is my previous placenta abruption complication or any cardiac reasons a cause. So it's unknown what exactly caused this to happen. This critical time requires fast action to help strengthen the baby and try to prevent from going into active labor. This protocol consisted of steroids, antibiotics, and a very unpleasant 36 hour magnesium (mag) IV drip. Those who visited can attest to the notoriously unpleasant mag drip. Basically it's like a drug hangover. I had poor hand-eye coordination, blurred vision, slurred speech, double vision, and a killer headache that never went away. According to my friend a retired labor and delivery nurse, when she first started her career mag had just been replaced by alcohol drips. Back then, women were literally drunk and had hangovers when done and the steroids were new too. Now years later with research there has been good outcomes for both steroids and mag drips.
The main concerns are I go into active labor, cord compression, and infection. If I deliver at 24 weeks Spud 2's survival is 75% (higher then we thought considering Spud 2 weighs only one lb). This goes up the longer Spud 2 stays incubated, so what is best is for Spud 2 is to stay incubated as long as possible and to be hospitalized in case I do go into active labor they can act fast. The goal is to make it to 34 weeks. They will not go longer then that because the risk of infection will be too great, so they would plan an induction. If I go into active labor now, the plan would be a c-section because Spud 2 is still breeched. However, the longer I go, the bigger the baby and more likely it will turn correctly so a c-section wouldn't be needed. If I also deliver now, Spud 2 would have to be in the hospital longer, although I'd be discharged within a weeks time. According to my calculations 34 weeks is Aug 22nd. So in case you missed it, I will be in the hospital until I deliver which could be as long as 10-11 weeks; yuck.
This news has caused us to depend on family and friends particularly for childcare. Jay will continue to work and take his family leave whenever Spud 2 arrives. Weekends Jay and Kate visit me and Jay often spends the night. Since that's the only family time we can have together, Jay had to quit his church drumming gig earlier then planned. Although Jay is settling into being Mr. Mom, he enjoys the peace and quiet on his overnight hospital stays. This has been a big adjustment for everyone and made for a hard first week requiring lots of grace. It's best we keep things as normal as possible and in a routine for Kate, and to minimize further adjustments. We often Skype after bath time, where we look at a book or sing songs, just like if I was at home. Kate doesn't fully understand why I'm in the hospital; I'd prefer her not to make the connection that I'm here because of the baby. She started off the first week saying "I want mommy" and now says "I miss mommy," so I think that's showing she understands a bit and is adjusting. She does know about the baby and will often kiss my belly or tickle it. Whenever she hears the heartbeat from the monitor she knows it's the baby and happily tells anyone around.
Many of you have asked how I'm holding up. Honestly, I'm surprising myself by how well I'm handling it all. I'm not usually a "go with the flow" type of gal, but in this situation I really don't have a choice, but to do just that. I try to avoid dwelling on how long I'll be here, but instead taking it a week at a time. I feel completely at peace about my own health and worry more about life at home. It was funny to get a visit from a social worker this week, yet comforting to know that we're handling things well with Kate. I find it ironic that I'll probably be here longer then all my cardiac surgeries combined. I have since learned early water breaks requiring long-term hospitalization with positive outcomes happen more frequently then one would anticipate. I like having repeating nurses and have come across a few who provided care when Kate was born. It was fun for us all to recognize each other and for the nursing staff to see Kate now. A few of you gave me this same verse (Psalm 1:3) which I found reassuring, especially since it's so similar to my Mom's Together theme verse (Jeremiah 17:7-8) which I had just memorized. I hope that we can remain confident in Him and look forward to the "fruit" (Spud 2) of our trust and God's sovereign grace.
Psalm 1:3 "He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers."
Jeremiah 17:7-8 "But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."
The good news is, I'm now 25 weeks 5 days and we made it well over a week already without complications. This is a good sign. The chief OB resident says, since my uterus is as quiet as a mouse with little to no contractions, my cervix remains closed, and I've been uneventful since arrival, she's hopeful I'll stay that way and has a good feeling I can make it close to 34 weeks. So I jokingly tell people that I've moved into a LA studio apartment in the very desirable Westwood area, where I have housekeeping and room service. For the most part I have to stay in bed with compression leg pumps and baby monitors on my belly. I unplug myself to use the bathroom and shower and recently got approval to have a little time outside in a wheelchair with supervision.
Father's Day
Feeling great after my first shower
Decorating my "apartment" with Kate's artwork
my view
Here's some pictures I'm sent from life at home
Doing her chores



































No comments:
Post a Comment