So on Friday in my post titled the bionic woman and her 7 year average (click link or just view below) I shared about my recent pacemaker clinic visit and how my battery will need replacement in 1-7 months. Well on Friday evening my heart began to feel strange. It continued throughout the weekend. I just felt off. By Sunday night I continued to feel this way and so I checked my blood pressure (bp) and pulse. I noticed that my pulse was very low (in the 60's). I made Jay take his bp to see if it wasn't just the machine (his was fine, by the way). Knowing my pacemaker is set to not have my pulse go below 80, made me question that perhaps my pacemaker had gone into "safe mode." This morning I took my bp again a few times and well, my pulse was still low.
I contacted Hoag Pacemaker Clinic and we did a quick phone check. The nurse did confirm that YES I have gone into "safe mode". So my 1-7 month window quickly narrowed to 1 DAY! Yep, that's right. She said that a few patients have had that happen quickly after a check up, but that it doesn't happen often (yeah, I'm not the only one, usually I am). She was so cute to apologize, but has been most helpful. A fax has been sent to both the Hoag cardiologist and my UCLA cardiologist. She also contacted Hoag cardiology and spoke with the office staff. I have been in contact with UCLA cardiology and they plan to get in touch with surgery. I'm pleased to say that I have some helpful staff from both hospitals who are working with me to get the ball rolling for authorization, etc., which has been a prayer of mine.
Some of you music lovers out there might recall the lyrics to Alanis Morissette's song "Ironic." I think that some parts of this song best describe things at this point.
"Isn't it ironic...don't you think.
Well isn't this nice...
Who would've thought... it figures
A little too ironic. .. and yeah I really do think."
Thanks to all who have been praying, sending supportive emails and phone calls. We GREATLY appreciate them. I think that I'm anxious because this is uncharted waters (my first pacemaker battery replacement), but once my questions get answered and insurance approval, I'll feel better about the whole thing. In many ways I'm surprised because I though I'd have more time, but at the same time, I'm not surprised about God's timing. I'd prefer surgery, the sooner, the better. It IS uncomfortable, and I can see why most don't want to wait long for surgery. I'm not as tired as I expected from the heart. I'm more tired because the uncomfortable feelings I have are worse at night when I'm resting, which has made it difficult to sleep. It's not as bad during the day I believe, because I"m moving around and staying busy which increases my bp/pulse and distracts me from my heart. I did ask the Hoag nurse if they could prescribe any medication for my heart to get me through up until surgery, but that was a no. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted as things progress and questions are answered.
Thanks again for your love, encouragement, support, & prayers! Keep them coming~
4 comments:
I'm with you...God's timing in my life is NEVER what I think it will be! Will be praying for you. Keep us "posted." =)
Hey Erica, Hang in there. God's timing and plan are definitely perfect, isn't it so comforting to know that He has the best plan for you! I am praying for God's protection and grace to pour over you friend. Love, Shelly
After hearing about this from Bryan I freaked out with worry. His reaction to that was so calm after being through these with you so often he knows how to handle it. I'm new at this so bare with me, everything will be fantastic and my parents ask for an update everyday since i told them about it. They said their prayers are with you. Much love and feel free to call me anytime if you EVER need anything.
Love you.
Erica,
Can you believe that you made it through tax season with your OLD pacemaker? Again, God's timing is everything. (It does seem a little selfish to say this!)
I am a little anxious for you, but you are such a fighter, I feel you will do just fine.
Love you, Julie
Post a Comment