Friday, April 17, 2009

the bionic woman and her 7 year average

Yesterday I attended my routine pacemaker clinic visit at Hoag Hospital. I was informed that my battery will go into "safe mode" 1-7 months from now! Although I knew it was coming, I didn't quite expect to hear it's practically here. At my last clinic visit back in August, the window they gave me was vague and within a large span; 2-22 months. I questioned if my heart had used the pacemaker more since my last appointment (they thought this was an excellent question) and after reviewing the chart noticed just the opposite. Ironically, my heart had used the pacemaker less, and that no episodes were even recorded! So with that said, I've hit my seven year average. Seems like every seven years I need surgery of some sort, and well, I guess I'm overdue since my last surgery was January of 2002.

What I can expect when the pacemaker goes into “safe mode” is to feel weird, VERY uncomfortable, and VERY tired. They said I would most likely notice when climbing stairs or exercising. Basically, my heart will want to go faster because of exertion, but the pacemaker won’t allow it to go full speed to save battery. When in “safe mode” the pacemaker will do a “half ass” job so to speak. It will only pace in one part of the heart, rather then both, and things like that. Most who go into “safe mode” don’t wait too long to have surgery, because they are so uncomfortable. I have 3 months from the time it goes into “safe mode” to have the battery replacement surgery. All the information of what to expect was exactly what my cardiologist up at UCLA said a year ago.

After talking with the two pacemaker technicians/nurses who feel I have a good enough case and my family and because we have two important weddings scheduled in Sept & Oct (and now maybe three) we've decided to get the ball rolling to schedule the surgery. Perhaps by the time authorization and plans for surgery are made, my battery will go into "safe mode" and that it will all be in perfect orchestration. Due to some changes in insurance, I will be having phone checks every 6 weeks rather then every month. If I begin to feel strange and very tired I can call them and they can do a phone check to see if perhaps I have gone into "safe mode" within the 6 week period. So for now the plan is for Hoag pacemaker clinic to notify my Hoag cardiologist to begin authorization and approval for scheduling the surgery at UCLA. My job, is to contact my cardiologist at UCLA and follow up with the cardiologist at Hoag in a week.

Things are sort of making sense with why I haven’t found a social work job. God’s got impeccable timing I suppose, since the day after tax season ends, I find out surgery is just around the corner. Now that the shock is wearing off, I’m beginning to focus my energies on contacting UCLA, and making a list of questions and things to do before surgery. Jay reminds me that this might be the easiest surgery I’ve had. Although I'm quite “experienced” with surgeries, any surgery, no matter how big or small is still SCARY. Thank you to those who have already begun praying. I'll be sure to keep you informed as things begin to unfold. Jay showed me this verse last year and well it came to my mind as I began processing the news.

Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” Matthew 6:27 .

5 comments:

mamaca said...

God has blessed you with a very wise husband. I will pray that you are able to let our Lord carry all your worries and concerns and that your thoughts will only be of praising Him for what He is doing in your life.

Love you,
Elaine Toth

Louise :) said...

Jay and Erica

I just felt like I wanted to write to you guys......I have never met you Erica and Jay was still very young the last time we met (as was I!), so I do appreciate the updates on your life as it makes us feel closer to you. I must say Erica, that you have so impressed me with your stories and your strength and especially your faith. You are an amazing woman of God. Now again you are faced with a challenge so many people can never understand and seem to be doing it with the knowledge that God is with you. You are blessed with the backing of a wonderful loving husband, family and friends (of which you seem to have many). Here is another verse that I pray for you Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.


Elizabeth is telling me to say hi and that she will meet you in Hawaii. I wish I could tell you that this was true but a young girls' dreams sometimes come true......it's us older wiser people who are aware of the financial implications and state the reality :)

Know that our prayers are with you. Have a wonderful day. God Bless

Sending our love
Louise (and Don,Alex, Patrick and Elizabeth)
xx
p.s. I tried to email you but it was returned saying your email locked it out - seems strange when you wrote to us first. anyhow I know that our email is a company name and therefore we could end on spam folders sometimes!!!

Lynne Baker said...

Dear Erica,

We are all going into "prayer mode" before your pacemaker goes into "safe mode." Yes, indeed, God's timing is perfect!! May He hold you in the palm of His hand and give you His peace as you await approval and scheduling, etc.

Love and blessings,

Lynne Baker

Anonymous said...

Hello Beautiful Couple.

I love that we can trust our God with everything. You two are a great example of God's love and care to every detail. Thanks for relying on Hime for it all.

With Lots of Love and Respect,
Karen Nelson

Debbie said...

Will be praying for you, Sweetie. God's timing is so perfect, I don't know why we worry--oh yeah, we're human. Good thing He loves us perfectly!!

Just click on a picture to ENLARGE.