It is with great sadness to announce that my Pa-pou (grandpa in Greek) has passed. After losing his wife in 2008 and a fall which resulted in a broken hip, Pa-pou had slowly gone down hill. At the end he was living in a nursing home, not eating and losing weight.
On Friday June 24th the family was notified that it would be within a matter of time as he continued to decline. I believe most of us thought he'd pass that day or by the end of the weekend. I took that day off to help with funeral preparations; completing a family scrapbook, and framing some pictures. It wasn't until 5am the following Tuesday (June 28th) that we learned he had passed. Ironically, his passing occurred almost the same date and time as Yi-yia's years before.
Due to the July 4th holiday, the viewing and funeral was arranged for the following week. My parents, and Bryan and Christina flew out early to help with the preparations, spend time with the family, and enjoy the holiday festivities.
I found it especially difficult this time, not to be able to go to Colorado. I'm thankful for Jay, my grandparents, Jay's family, and my friends for helping to distract me, care for me, and support us during a difficult time. The shopping trip, dinner, flowers, cards, phone calls, and emails were much appreciated.
Thanks to technology, we were able to feel more a part of the funeral. My cousin Stephanie frequently text pictures and play-by-play details of what was going on. The priest also arranged for the funeral service to be live audio broadcasted. Jay listened from work, while I listened at home.
Here's some of the family at the viewing the evening before the funeral. In the Greek culture, the viewing is more for the family and a bigger deal then the funeral itself. They had over 100 in attendance.
It's customary to serve shots of Metaxa
Funeral Pictures:
Flower arrangement from all the grandkids
The table set with the pictures and scrapbook
I helped put together
along with the flower arrangement from
us and Jay's parents
The Greek Mafia aka the pallbearers
The priests reading from the Greek funeral book
Cousin Alexis helping with the readings and chants
Heading to the burial grounds
The reception:
Cousin Michele and her daughters Jamie and Jea
My cousin Stephanie's sons: Josh and Johnny
Family member Jimmy reading memories of Pa-pou written by Pa-pou's cousin
The funeral was very well done. We both especially enjoyed the Priest sharing his own memories of Pa-pou. Late that evening, everyone gathered at my aunt and uncle's house and we got to Skype with all the extended family. It was so much fun to video chat with family from afar (Albuquerque, Alabama, and even Virginia). We got to catch up with all the cousins and laugh a bunch. It was good for the soul. While we Skyped, my dad shared Spud's announcement video with the rest of the family.
Obituary:
Pa-pou on a cruise to Greece
Memories of Pa-pou:
I remember watching Pa-pou eat grapefruit and oatmeal for breakfast. Perhaps this daily breakfast regime contributed to his ripe old age of nearly 99. I have fond memories of us feeding peanuts to the squirrels. Every time I see a squirrel, I think of our special time outdoors together. When I see Mr. Squirrel outside our window, I can't help but smile.
I also remember performing at Yia-Yia and Pa-Pou’s anniversary party before we moved to California. As well as cheering on the Broncos during the games we watched on TV and our family being soo loud. I also can't forget swimming together with my brother at our friends pool, or getting a kick out of watching Pa-pou smile and slip dollar bills to the belly dancers at parties or Greek restaurants.
Once we moved to California, Pa-pou kindly send us wonderful care packages of Greek food and bread. We especially looked forward to the Greek Sweet Bread each New Year and Greek Easter and hoping to get the piece with the lucky quarter. Pa-pou sent the bread to all family, making well over 12 loaves. He did this until he didn't have the strength to do it anymore. Due to Pa-pou's experienced bread making skills, his were always much fancier then mine.
Amateur attempt
I also remember making Greek food together for my High School Graduation party. But I have to say the best and most memorable thing was our wedding. It meant the world to me, for them to make the trek out to meet Jay and participate in the festivities. We both can't forget Pa-pou at 90 years old Greek dancing at our wedding. I can't help but smile, when I picture him out on the dance floor in the conga line.

Here's the last day we spend withYia-yai and Pa-pou. It was the day after our wedding at my parents.
Pa-pou's passing has been especially hard on the family. It's the loss of an entire generation and set of grandparents. Together they have left a lasting legacy. However, with the anticipation of Spud's arrival, we can't help but to reflect on the circle of life. As one generation of Pa-pou passes another is born.
























1 comment:
Erica - What a nice tribute to Pa-pou. You have such great memories of a very special grandfather. Naomi
Post a Comment