Friday, August 1, 2008

My Tribute


Some of you have heard, but it is with great sadness that my Yia-Yia has passed. I have been so blessed to have all four grandparents alive for so long. I remember back in elementary school I was one of the only kids who had both sets of grandparents alive. I am thankful for all the many special memories that we share and the many more to come.

After attending my Mom's uncle's funeral in Colorado and bidding their farewells to family, my parents spent some quality time with Yia-Yia and Pa-Pou. On Saturday she was alert and happy to see my parents. She was not in pain, but it was clear she was having difficulty breathing. Monday they said goodbye as they headed back to California. Little did my parents know that less then 12 hours after they saw her did she pass. She died Tuesday at 3am.

But God's hand has been in this even before her passing. For my uncle had canceled his trip to Canada, my aunt had taken the day off, and my cousin from Alabama was already in town. Realizing Jay had Tuesday off from work, Monday I rescheduled my doctors appointments and baked four loaves of bread to give away to friends and family. This left both Jay & I free all day Tuesday.

7am on Tuesday my dad called to share the news. I'm so thankful I wasn't home alone. Jay & I went to my parents and had a big family breakfast with lots of hugs and tears. We helped them pack which included two of the loaves of bread and took them back to the airport; less then 24 hours from when I had picked them up.

It wasn't that we didn't know this was coming, but we just didn't expect it to be so soon. And then to have an earthquake that same morning;Yia-Yia sure knew how to shake things up. The rest of the week I had ordered flowers to be shipped, have been writing my memories for the Priest to share, Bryan shopped for a suit (as he will be one of the pallbearers) and I took him to the airport just last night. I have been on the phone a lot with my family and learning of the daily happenings. I have learned a lot about the traditions of Greek Orthodox Funerals. Friday the prayer service and viewing is scheduled and Saturday is the funeral and dinner.

Please pray for our family as we grieve over the recent losses. As you can imagine this has also been especially hard on me as I can't go to Colorado to attend the funeral. The picture of Jay & I with Yia-Yia and Pa-Pou in my parents yard was the last day I saw her. I love you Yia-Yia!

Obituary
Economy, Laura L. Passed away peacefully July 29, 2008. Preceded in death by daughter Joyce. Survived by husband Chris; children Joan, Steve, and Jim; 8 grandchildren; 9 great grandchildren; 2 great great grandchildren. Trisagion, 8PM Friday, August 1, 2008. Service, 10AM, Saturday, August 2, 2008, both at St Catherine Greek Orthodox Church, 5555 S. Yosemite, Greenwood Village, 80111. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to St. Catherine Greek Orthodox Church or Assumption Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 4610 E. Alameda, Denver 80222.

Memories of Yia-Yia
There is no one specific memory of Yia-Yia, but rather a cluster. The things I remember are small. Like performing at Yia-Yia and Pa-Pou’s anniversary party before we moved to California. And cheering on the Broncos during the games we watched on TV and our family being soo loud. I remember looking forward to hearing her stories of Elway from her visits to the hair dresser. She was a die hard Bronco fan. I can’t ever forget Yia-Yia whenever I have Avagolemono soup. For she made the very best and was always so willing to make a batch every time she came to visit. Or all the great care packages of Greek food and bread that were sent to us. I also remember making Greek food together for my High School Graduation party. And when I hear her voice is its’ of a loud Lebanese. But I have to say the best and most memorable thing was for her to come out to my wedding. It meant the world to me, for her to meet Jay, join in the Greek dancing, and to share the special day with us, despite her fear of traveling.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Erica.

Thank you for sharing your Yia-Yia with us. What a blessing to spend so much time with her during your life. And how awesome for her to have such a cool granddaughter.

You are in my prayers.

Love you, girl.
Karen Nelson

Anonymous said...

Oh Erica!
What a blessing to have had such a remarkable person share in your life. It's clear from the kind of woman you are that the people around you have loved you so much! Sorry for your loss.

Love you,
Renee Reap

Debbie said...

Erica,

Praying for you and your family. It's very hard. Your grandma was blessed with such a loving family and you were blessed in return.

Love

Deb & Tom

Anonymous said...

What a great tribute! I feel like I know her now. Also, now I see where you get so much enthusiasm and zest for living!!

Julie

Just click on a picture to ENLARGE.