Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pregnacy Update

Mid June I had an OB appointment. Spud and I are doing well. Mom drove up with me to UCLA. She got to meet my doctor, ask a few questions, and hear Spud's heart beat. Our next OB appointment is scheduled for mid July with an ultrasound, just in time for Jay's birthday!

I had a thyroid follow up that went well too. I'm still a bit low, but not as low as last time. I've already started alternating on a higher dose and don't have to go back for 6 weeks; the longest stretch between appointments.

I also had a pacemaker phone check. They found some suspicious intermittent fast heart beats. This could be related to the pregnancy, but regardless, they don't seem overly concerned, just want to continue to monitor. I will be going in soon to have some of my pacemaker settings adjusted. One will be to increase my resting heart rate. This is because I'm well into my second trimester, which means that my heart rate and blood pressure will likely increase and they need to account for that. This setting will be changed back after delivery. This change was to be expected. They also want to re-adjust some settings that track irregular heart beats. Presently, my settings don't track entire episodes, only snip-its, so they want to set it to track entire episodes. This will allow for better monitoring and proper diagnosis. At the end of July I have a cardiology appointment, echo, fetal echo, and tentatively a pacemaker follow up. These were already scheduled way before they found the suspicious beats, so we're thankful those are coming up soon.

Many of you have asked the origin of the name Spud. Jay came up with that one. Based on our first ultrasound picture and how small the baby was, Jay started to think of little nick names. He didn't seem to like mine (little JET-our initials, little bird), so he started to think of his own. Squirt came to mind, and eventually landed and settled on Spud. I don't believe he initially thought of the baby as a potato. Anyhow, my cousin JoAnn came up with her own reasoning for the name, hence the acronym below.

Special
Person
Under
Development

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I like JoAnn's acronym for SPUD. :) It's so great to get these updates. Next time I'm in town I'll for sure stop by to see you.

Anonymous said...

Hey...It's Olga : )
I am so happy for you 3! Congratulations, Erica!!!

Just click on a picture to ENLARGE.