Friday, June 26, 2009

A Father's Day

It's been awhile since our last post, for that I'm sorry. Life just has been busy lately. I'm 7 weeks post-op today. I can do most things now, except lay out at our pool on my stomach, do crunches, or lift weights above my head. It was refreshing to return to my fitness class and have the strength and energy to return to normal activities. Thank you all for your continued concern and prayers. We're thankful that my surgery wasn't this week with all the hype from MJ's death; we might not have made it through the crowds into the hospital! As I write this post, Jay and I are getting "high" off the marijuana fumes, that a neighbor must be smoking; no I haven't resorted to medicinal usage to further my "healing" process, so please don't start any rumors!

Last Sunday we celebrated "Father's Day" most the entire day. Bryan & I took dad to a little cafe on Balboa Island for breakfast (while Jay was drumming). It was a gorgeous day (better then the drizzle and June gloom the day before) and we enjoyed walking the island and looking out at the boats. When we returned, dad opened his gifts.

Here's him sporting his new shirt and hat. I must mention the shirt is a picture of a tent and reads "Time Share."

As I mentioned my mother as a heroine in my Mother's Day post, I feel my father is equally a hero. He has strength, integrity, endurance (not just in cycling), a strong work ethic, and dedication, just to name a few. He's made many sacrifices as well, and for those I am grateful. Just like I can't imagine my life without my mother, I too can't imagine my life without my father. There were two scary times when it almost became a possibility, but he endured. And even in his illness, he still provided for the family, attended to his children, and cared for his ill daughter. Some of my favorite "father" moments are camping both in the back yard and out in nature, him running down the sidewalk to tell me I had a "baby brother," snorkeling through seaweed while at family summer camps on Catalina Island, making homemade ice cream on 4th of July, teaching me to ride a bike and drive a car (stick), Greek dancing, cheering on the Broncos, and of course, walking me down the isle for my wedding. So... HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DAD!!! I LOVE YOU!!! THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO FOR US!

After Jay returned from church, we met up with his side of the family for a wonderful Mexican dinner. The food was delicious and we were treated to music and singing. We spent most of the evening "hanging out" as a family. Ron enjoyed his gifts: a case of beer and a bi-plane ride.

And to all you other father's out there reading this, a Happy Father's Day to you too!

No comments:

Just click on a picture to ENLARGE.