Thursday, September 15, 2011

got milk?

Last week I had my routine thyroid and ob appointments. I continue to require more thyroid hormone as SPUD grows bigger. At the o.b. appointment we got to hear SPUD's heart beat and he says it sounds really strong. I've had some minor foot and ankle swelling. I need to monitor this so I can determine if it is cardiac or pregnancy related. However, neither team appears concerned, and now that our heat wave has subsided, I haven't had much swelling. My glucose test for gestational diabetes came back fine, which is excellent news. My iron however, is a bit low, and so I'll be starting on an over the counter iron supplement. It's also time for me to have more frequent o.b. appointments, roughly every two weeks. This is routine for most pregnancies, so we expected this, but just didn't anticipate it would start this soon. However, it does ease our minds to have me monitored closely.

A funny thing is, I could probably be the next star in the "Got milk?" commercials or magazine ads as I've been on a milk binge. I know this is due to the pregnancy, because most who know me know I'm not a big milk drinker. I'll have it with cereal, cookies, popcorn (Jay' got me doing that) or with chocolate, but you'd never find me guzzling down a glass of ice cold milk... until now. I'd never consider asking for it at a restaurant, but I have done that on a few occasions, only to be disappointed they didn't have non-fat. I just have to be careful as to when I have my glass of milk (or any milk products) as they interfere with one of my  medications. This week, I missed having a glass of milk one evening, but I dreamt about it that very night! The next day I made sure to have my glass of milk!

I started the Mothers Together group at my parents church today. What a great way to end my second trimester. It was fun to connect with other moms and I'm looking forward to developing more friendships and gain further support.



Tomorrow (Friday) I will start my third trimester. The time has flown by so quickly. Jay says "Spud is growing up so fast" and my response is "we'll be saying those words for the rest of our lives." We're really working hard now on the nursery; I'll do a full nursery post upon completion. However, here's the before/after of the nursery closet. We can't thank my parents enough for this custom made closet system.

Before- closet with no shelving = waste of good space

The storage cabinet mom and I put together

Behind door #1

Behind door #2 

Behind door #3
 

Other news this month is that I got another work gig. The adult daycare facility my office is located at, needed some temporary assistance with Medi-Cal billing paperwork.  This is a great opportunity to make some extra money to help pay for all these baby expenses as well as gaining a better understanding how Medi-Cal billing works. This part time job has great flexibility to work my own hours.  It appears that my tax background has helped me to become more versatile; therefore we find it essential that I continue to keep up my tax certification which is due the end of next month. So, I'll be back to hitting the books, but luckily I'll be studying once again with my friend and former tax colleague Erin.




















No comments:

Just click on a picture to ENLARGE.