Saturday, September 10, 2011

August

August turned out to be a very busy month for us. We celebrated our 8 year wedding anniversary with dinner and a walk at our favorite beach spot.


We also enjoyed free tickets to see reggae bands Steel Pulse and The Wailers (and probably got stoned in the process).





Spud must be growing because my belly sure is. I've had to increase my thyroid again, but all other hormone levels are fine. We saw the o.b. and nurse practitioner in early August. We heard the heart beat and had them answer some questions about planning for delivery, arranging for a hospital tour, and other preliminary things. Spud has been more active, often giving big kicks and swimming from one side to the other. Jay has enjoyed feeling its movements, and I do too, until it's uncomfortable, makes me queezy, or I'm trying to sleep. It sure is a weird feeling. They say it's like having gas, but for me its like having a heart arrhythmia in your belly. Sometimes I have to stop a moment and focus to be sure its my belly and not my heart. I also had the standard glucose labs done to be sure I'm not heading towards gestational diabetes.When I got my haircut this month, I was disappointed that my hairdresser found my first gray hair! I'm sure this will be the first of many thanks to Spud. It's like a milestone that you don't ever want to cross.

 

Here's Spud and I at 23 weeks.
 
Then we celebrated my mom's birthday with lunch at a new restaurant followed by a family trip to Ikea. It was fun to just all be together.

 

We've also been busy researching and shopping for those must have items (car seat, stroller, and crib), talking to colleagues about maternity/paternity leave, working on the baby registry and nursery. Additionally, we signed up for childbirth and baby basics classes.  I was grateful that with minimal effort I was able to get out of jury duty. The upcoming arrival has propelled us to get some things done around the house we've been putting off since moving in (like unpacking boxes in the guest/nursery closet). You can say we're pruning our nest, making room for Spud. Towards the end of the month, I had Salvation Army come take away a bunch of bags of clothing and household items along with our old couch.



 our empty living room

I couldn't find a place to take my old desk, so we placed it out front overnight, and by the morning someone had taken it. I'm sentimental to the desk as I remember getting it for Christmas. This Ikea desk didn't come in time, so I remember opening a jewelry box with a picture of it and picking it up after the holidays. I got it while I was in middle school or jr high. Lots of hours of studying went into that desk!

out with the old
 

in with the new

another of our month's upgrades

We celebrate Jay's mom's birthday with a family dinner at a local Italian restaurant.They serve their food "family style" so portions are large enough to go around. Sharing is required.


The funny part of dinner was after the servers sang to JoAnne, Nolan confidently and loudly said "that was annoying." We hoped the staff didn't hear what he said, only our laughter.

The last weekend in August we went to a bbq hosted by a former intern at Jay's work. We were treated to a mound of delicious food and Jay got to take his friend's Vespa out for a spin.




Jay's work gave all employees free tickets to the aquarium. I figured since I can't eat fish, mind as well go see them. We went late afternoon, then headed to Famous Dave's for delicious bbq dinner. We had a fun evening and it turned out to be a nice way to end the month.


 


I love how Jay's reflection is in this picture. It's like he's next to the shark.


                                                                             Smile!




Puffin
Strawberry Coral
Deadliest Catch

Check out the size difference between these two crab
Clown Fish



Sexy Shrimp
                                                                          Ooh la la!
The fish kept pestering the diver, poking at his mask; 
I think it was intrigued by the bubbles.
Roughhousing in their cage, 
while the staff clean up their messy room 
next door with toys strewn all over the place; just like kids!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erica and Jay,

Enjoyed your blog.

Wow, little Spud is growing, as your photos show.

Never thought of comparing it to the size of an eggplant.

Love,

Georgia

Anonymous said...

What a cute pic of you at Moto...loved having you there. So thankful with you that spud and Mommy are doing sooo well!
Love, Virg

Just click on a picture to ENLARGE.