I especially enjoyed being the tour guide for Dave and Joy and Jay's parents in Avalon on Catalina Island. It was a special time for me since I had lived on the Island (for a summer) nearly 13 years ago. Avalon has changed a lot since my time there, but luckily there were still some of my favorite spots like: Big Olaf's Ice Cream, Antionios's Pizza , and the Casino. The highlight of everyone's trip was when I became Driving the Dasies. Joy and JoAnne both wore hats with daises and I drove everyone on a golf cart. Growing up as a kid going to camp on Catalina as well as living there, I had always wanted to putt around on a golf car, but was never of age to rent one. This time, I definitely was, and after researching other adventure options, this was the most economical option, and by far, the most fun. Joy braved being my navigator sitting shotgun and we laughed most the entire time. Dave was holding on for dear life facing backward, while trying to capture everything on camera, and Ron and JoAnn sat semi safe in the middle. We drove up to the Wrigley Memorial, then around past where they do the new Zipline Tours, past the author Zane Grey's hotel, and back around to the main street of Avalon. By going off season, we avoided crowds, and hiked up prices, but were still blessed with great weather and calm seas. Only to find out the next morning of the Tsunami warning. JoAnne believes the captain and crew knew on our trip back to mainland that the warning was in place, because they were quiet and not their usual "friendly selves."
our ride
taxing out of the harbor
arrived safely in Avalon
Welcome to Avalon
Garibaldi fish greet us
Casino
the Casino has amazing architectural features
men on a mission
Lobster cages
face off
happy passengers
Avalon at night
I'm sure some of you are wondering how I'm enjoying my return to the social work profession. I'm really enjoying the job as research assistant. Research was a area of social work that I didn't anticipate I'd enjoy in grad school, but came to realize I very much liked it and saw the value in it, and I can say my feelings haven't changed. At my job, I'm given much responsibility yet, work independently. I make rounds on the units participating in the research study to collect data, then return to my office at an offsite location and compile and input the data for the statistician. I've also helped to develop educational flyers that eventually will be placed on all hospital units. Recently, I accepted a job offer from a colleague to be her assistant. She is working privately on a book in our field, and needed an assistant. I've only just started the job, but like that I will be working from home. Some of you might know that I not only love to write, but have dreamed to write a book, and therefore, believe this opportunity will serve as a great learning experience to better understand the book writing process.
During the winter I baked 9 or so batches of cookies. I've wanted a Kitchen Aid mixer and have been searching for some time, but knew I needed to wait until we moved to a kitchen with more space. Recently I found the mixer of my dreams and have been baking ever since. The first thing I baked was my dad's favorite cookies for his birthday, Chocolate Chip. So far I've baked chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, a batch of zucchini nut muffins, coffee cake, Greek Easter Bread , and cornbread. Did I make you hungry yet?
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Greek Easter Bread
Click here Sue's Treasures Of Clay to check out my mom's pottery blog as we've added more of her work;


No comments:
Post a Comment