Thursday, August 1, 2013

Happy 1st Birthday Kate!

Kate's first birthday was extra special. It was a time to praise God for His faithfulness during our long journey into parenthood. As I re-read my post introducing Spud it was a great reminder how He gave me special promises through His word that helped combat the anxieties we had in the process. As Kate's great grandma says "there's two miracles" Kate and myself. Our lives are a testiment that not only God is good, but His deep love for us. None of us can believe how quickly the year went and how Kate is coming into her own.

Shortly after having Kate, there was a speaker in my mom's group that had us do an exercise where we had to write down positive things about our child's personality. This took a little effort on my part because Kate was just at baby at the time. What I came to recognize was Kate's kindness. Now that she's older, her acts of kindness and other gifts are more evident. She'll give you a "love" aka hug or even a kiss without prompting. She also loves to make others laugh and generously shares with others. Kate is also friendly and will light up the room with her infectious smile and blue eyes. She's also brave and eager to explore and learn. Kate is strong as she has a tight grip, loves to climb (Proud Uncle Bryan), and toughs out any injuries. She's also helpful. Now in toddler-hood she'll help you unload groceries, water your plants, assist with the laundry, put items in the recycling bin, and re-load the toilet paper stash. Yes, these are her designated "chores." She also enjoys music and books (no surprise there, right?). Kate is intelligent and has an extensive vocabulary. She's a quick learner and determined. We can't wait to see how much more she'll grow, learn, and change in the coming year. 
  First day

10 days old
 

One year old


Kate got some playground time in before her birthday party.






Jay and I both didn't have large birthday parties each year growing up and so we have made a pact to keep birthdays simple yet special. We choose to have a family gathering that also included Kate's Godparents and my friend Debra. Since Kate loves the water so much, I went with a pink sea theme. With the enlisted help of Debra, we put together a great party. We served pizza and salad with pink lemonade and pink soda. For dessert chocolate cake and banana caramel cake alongside pink champagne (for the adults) to toast surviving our first year of parenthood. Enjoy the photo highlights courtesy of Aunt Katherine at KC Photography.

Centerpiece


The center cake in front is Kate's (banana caramel) to match her tutu. 

 Our precious gift; the birthday girl!
 
Here's the starfish and "K" cookies for the goodie bags.


  Yum, I think I like it



Sharing with Daddy
 

 Gotta squish this stuff

Too messy; clean me up mommy!



 
 
 
 Handmade doll from Yia-yia

New pj's and a kitchen play set from Nana and Papa

 

 New jacket and boots


From Mommy
 


Thank you God for Kate!


1 comment:

Katherine said...

OMG! I just saw this! I'm so bad at catching up on my home email :/ I get way to much junk mail! Love the pics of course ;)) Miss you all lots!!!! She's growing up WAY to fast :( Love you!!!

Just click on a picture to ENLARGE.