Sunday, September 6, 2009

from the desk of the couch potato tv junkie in the falling economy

During the end of August, both Jay and I were stuck home, sick; a little early for cold season. Jay missed a few days and had to return to work, while I took longer to recover as usual. My head was a bit too fuzzy to catch up on reading so I became a couch potato and tv junkie.

I have so many recipes to try this Fall after all the cooking shows I watched on the Food Network. I say Fall, because it seems all the recipes were for soups, stews, and roasts, and it's been way too HOT to cook those things now. I often avoid that tempting channel because it's so addicting.

For those crafty ones, I caught the Martha Stewart Show one day. I'm sure almost everyone reading my blog has either played with boxes in their childhood or created something out of cardboard for their child. If you thought yours was creative, well think again. Check out these more elaborately decorated cardboard boxes.

Washer/Dryer
Oven
How about some food to go with the oven, perhaps a delicious felt cherry pie.
Table and chairs for dolls.

To view more about these items visit the show archive here at The Martha Stewart Show. I highly recommend viewing the links to each of these crafters. They have some more amazing items made from cardboard and felt. Has anyone ever gone beyond those traditional cardboard box houses or Halloween costumes? If so, I'd like to hear, so post a comment.

I also learned on her show about this website hosted by the Monterey Bay Aquarium that provides a guide to purchasing the freshest environmentally friendly seafood. The guide includes the best choices, good alternatives, and fish to avoid. Visit the site here at Seafood WATCH.

Most of us are watching our pennies these days in such a tight economy. This has caused us all to give some thought into cutting corners or being creative with our spending. I came across these online stories, which I found most amusing. As you know from previous posts, I'm all for "thinking outside the box." Well this California Resort did just that! Click on the link to view about their "Survivor Package." Imagine upscale hotel meets outdoor camping.

This next story/video will amaze you. I would guess that in tight times, people are holding onto their cars rather then purchasing a new vehicle. I know we're trying to take good care of our cars in hopes that they'll reciprocate the love.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I didn't make anything too out of the ordinary but I did make many Halloween costumes, play clothes and a Christmas gift or two. Oh, and I English smocked a few dresses for Joy when she was a baby.

These are all good ideas. Tom could have made the oven and I would definitely have made the felt pie--so cute!!

Maybe when the grandkids come along...

Just click on a picture to ENLARGE.