Monday, July 20, 2009

America the beautiful

On Independence Day we enjoyed attending a large neighborhood bbq block party at a friends house. There was karaoke, ping pong, a pool table, and a Simpson's pin ball machine. After filling our tummies and the sky growing dark, we all trekked down to watch the fireworks off the pier at our local beach for the first time. You might not be surprised to hear that I enjoyed the atmosphere more then the fireworks themselves.
The following week we enjoyed hosting a bbq and pool night with our dear friends and their kids. We swam, ate, played video games, then went back out after dark and swam some more. Mid July I lead a prayer walk at our local park with the ladies from my bible study. We enjoyed the beautiful day and brunch at the cafe afterward. That same day I made a special dinner to celebrate Jay's birthday. We then went to his parents to visit and open their presents and returned home to dessert of Sprinkles Cupcakes and vanilla ice cream. It was sad that Jay didn't care for the frosting on the cupcakes, but I gladly took his portion, so as not to waste the delicious dessert. Jay is looking forward to the bi-plane ride with his dad as his gift.

The following evening we celebrated a bit more by taking the family to the local fair to see the fabulous Fab Four ; a local Beatles tribute band. We saw this band before at the fair and knew our family would enjoy them. We started the night by exploring the fair, food, and farm. On the order of my dad "you can't eat anything healthy when you come to the fair" we ventured to try fried avocado, chocolate covered bacon, jumbo sausage/brat dogs, those abnormally super-sized turkey legs, funnel cake, and cotton candy. For those curious fair food junkies, we enjoyed the fried avocados, but as for the chocolate covered bacon, we found there was too much chocolate because it overpowered the bacon flavor (I normally wouldn't say you can't ever have too much chocolate!).
didn't your mom ever tell you to not play with your food? you rebellious child!

sources say that this was a REAL cotton candy; the largest recorded. monkey see
monkey do

this little piggy...
old MacDonald had a farm...
We then lined up to get good concert seats. We all sang and swayed along to the music. I must mention that when taking a poll of what the opening song would be, Christina mistakenly heard my mom who guessed "I want to hold you hand" to mean "I want a rubber band." Poor Christina, when that song came we sung her "blooper" lyrics loudly in her ear, I don't think she'll ever live that one down.
Has anyone been enjoying the fruits this summer? My friends and family have been talking that this has been the best season ever! We've been filling our tummies on grapes, nectarines, watermelon, peaches, kiwis, mango, apricots, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, plums, and cherries. We both agree that we've had the best, most juiciest, peaches ever that came from neighbors of my in laws. Before we even bit into them, there was a pool of juice at the base of the peach, we both hunched over the sink and savored each bite. I've even heard someone mention staining their shirt because the fruit they were eating was so juicy.

Jay & I also have been enjoying the local concerts in the park, a now annual tradition with my in laws and their neighbors. We enjoy packing dinners and a good read and listening to all the great bands, many of which are local.

Last week I had the privilege to co-lead with my dear friend Gina, the 3rd, 4th, & 5th grade girls for VBS (Vacation Bible School) through my parent's church. We had a BLAST playing with and just lovin on the kids. We had a swamp stoppin good time. This year's theme was Crocodile Dock. I must admit that this might have been the best VBS I've participated in to date. Not only did we have the biggest group of kids participate (over 135), but we had the best leaders (and pastor!), and decorations! The shack on stage looked just like the one from the bayou in Pirates of the Caribbean. Sources say that a few trips through this ride helped to catch each detail.

Many of you know that my brother has been quite the avid backpacker and kayak-er recently. He's gone on many hikes this summer both local and afar. His most recent adventures have taken him to Lake Powell, the Sierras, and Bishop. He hiked all the way up to 12,800 feet in the Sierras. Here's just a few pictures from his various adventures.
can you tell which is the reflection?

Two weeks ago he took Jay to Dawn's Mine. The boys had a little trouble finding the mine entrance, but once inside they enjoyed exploring.

mine entrance
frog
lizard skeleton
Saturday my brother left with his backpacking buddy (Kevin) to climb Mount Whitney, which so happens to be, the highest peek in the Continental United States! He'll hike 71+ miles and travel up to 14,000 feet. My parents dropped them off at the High Sierra Trail head in Crescent Meadows and will return on Friday. My parents report that the boys were ecstatic. We can't wait to hear about their newest adventure and I'll be sure to post a few pictures.

Today (Thursday) was the big Mount Whitney hike. I just got a text from my brother today which says: "I haven't been mauled by a bear. I'm alive and well. Be back tomorrow." Unfortunately, there's no mention of the hike itself.

High Sierra Trail head marker.
And their adventure begins.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Just click on a picture to ENLARGE.